It's been over a year since I "blogged". I'm not going to fill in the gaps as my life really is not that interesting(I went to Scotland to study for a year and now i'm working). I'm making a wee list of the pros and cons of Facebook.. Feel free to tell me your fors and againsts.
On the positive side:
1. It helped me make friends even before I left India through the University "networks" and student halls network. Hence, I knew I would know someone when I reached there.
2. I was aware of all the "get togethers" that happened through the "events" pages.
3. People thought I lived an exciting life since i got tagged in some pictures and they thought all I was doing was having fun- Sadly,no one took pictures of me studying in the library!
4. It was my newspaper. Someone died- I knew through facebook, someone got engaged, married and "is currently single"- Thanks facebook! I even knew world events through facebook since most people would put links to world affairs that they were passionate about- be it the middle eastern crisis or Tiger woods!
5. It let me vent feelings about people I liked or disliked publically which is a good oppurtunity for attention seekers. It also helped my creativity as I would sometimes take ages to think of a clever status and finally no one would comment on it :(
6. I could be :) or :( or :-O or :-S or <3 someone without using many alphabets!
7. On a boring night in, our favorite pasttime would be to spy on people's facebook profile. We had a few favorite ones that always provided much needed entertainment.
8. At work I use facebook when i'm bored...which I think is essential. It also provides entertainment on lonely boring nights (but for some reason it was much more entertaining as a student though I have the same people on my list).
9. It helped me reconnect with a lot of people I never thought I could reconnect with.
Cons of Facebook
1. I still haven't met some of the people that I "met" on Facebook before leaving India.
2. We would get excited for most of the events but would finally stay at home with some take away and look at facebook profiles. It didn't help much with the social life.
3. I got tagged in some very ugly pictures.
4. I stopped reading actual newspapers.
5. Some of those awesome statuses of mine ended up in arguements/debates and me being "unfriend"ed.
6. I started getting paranoid that other people would look at my profile on their boring nights in and make fun of me :(
7. I started spending too much time on Facebook I became an Anti-Social but since Facebook was a social network, I thought I was fine.
8. There was a reason why I didn't reconnect with many people but now I am obliged to, thanks to Facebook!
9. It's quite embarrassing explaining to some people why they can't "see my wall" or all my pictures.
That's all I can think of for now. I better go, I have some new "notifications"... :D